After a successful first edition, TEDxBITSHyderabad returns bigger and better this September with Life taking the center stage.
Life today is richer than ever before. We have had prodigious breakthroughs in Science and Technology, stunning contributions in Arts from people around the world and other immeasurable efforts from people to make their as well as others’ life better. This edition of TEDxBITSHyderabad celebrates life’s various aspects and its multifaceted nature.
TEDxBITSHyderabad is going to be held on September 21st, 2014 at the BITS Pilani Hyderabad Campus. The event is going to celebrate the Goodness of Life and has an amazing speaker line up whose work spans across varied disciplines of Science, Art, Data Visualization, Philanthropy and Education. “There are two international speakers from South Korea and Singapore this time around” said Dr.Anthony Vipin Das, Senior TED Fellow and Curator of TEDxBITSHyderabad. “The details of the speakers can be accessed at www.tedxbitshyderabad.in and the last date to apply to attend the event is August 25th, 2014″ said Abdul Saboor, Organizer of the event. “It is a daylong event for 100 attendees” he added.
Our speaker lineup includes:
· Dr Baile Zhang – has taken a huge step towards the possibility of creating cloaking materials that make people or military vehicles appear to vanish. Inspired by a high school experiment, he demonstrated an invisibility box which could hide a simple post-it note, using natural minerals.
· Professor D Balasubramanian – a Padma Shree awardee and a visionary of science.
· Gitanjali Sarangan – Arts Based Therapy (ABT) Guide for Bangalore and South India who runs The Snehadhara Foundation. She uses multi arts forms while working with children and adults with special needs.
· Parvati Patil – is the regional manager of Vittana’s portfolio of microfinance partnerships in South Asia. When she’s not working she likes to go mountaineering with her husband.
· Babar Ali – the “World’s Youngest Headmaster” from West Bengal who founded a school at the age of 14 in his village. The school now has over 800 students!
· Palam Kalyansundaram – a philanthropist with an everlasting smile and the charm of an adorable grandfather who donated his lifesavings and prize money worth 30 Crore Rupees to the poor. He’s been awarded the ‘Man of the Millennium’ and ‘Lifetime of Service’ Award by the Rotary Club of India.
· Sey Min – Called a Data Visualisation rockstar by her colleagues, she is a multi-disciplinary interactive designer from Seoul, South Korea who works with live data sets in various media formats to create projects that re-imagine how humans relate to technology, society, cities, and environments.
With a mélange of speakers from different walks of life, the event promises to be an experience worth having.
TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. Started as a four-day conference in California almost 30 years ago, TED has grown to support its mission with multiple initiatives. The two annual TED Conferences invite the world’s leading thinkers and doers to speak for 18 minutes on a diverse mix of topics. Many of these talks are then made available, free, at TED.com. TED speakers have included Bill Gates, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sir Richard Branson, Nandan Nilekani, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Isabel Allende and former UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown. The TED2014 Conference takes place in Vancouver, British Columbia, along with the TEDActive simulcast in neighboring Whistler. TEDGlobal 2014 will be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. TED‘s media initiatives include TED.com, where new TED Talks are posted daily; the Open Translation Project, which provides subtitles and interactive transcripts as well as translations from volunteers worldwide; the educational initiative TED-Ed; and TEDBooks, short e-books on powerful ideas. TED has established the annual TED Prize, where exceptional individuals with a wish to change the world get help translating their wishes into action; TEDx, which supports individuals or groups in hosting local, self-organized TED–style events around the world; and the TED Fellows program, helping world-changing innovators from around the globe to amplify the impact of their remarkable projects and activities. Follow TED on Twitter at http://twitter.com/TEDTalks, or on Facebook at http:// www.facebook.com/TED For information about TED‘s upcoming conferences, visit http://www.ted.com/registration
About TEDx, x = independently organized event:
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TED Talks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized. (Subject to certain rules and regulations.). TEDxBITSHyderabad is one such independently organized event.
To register for the event, apply here. Come join us this September and have a wonderful experience at BITS Pilani Hyderabad Campus.